Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Moving from a small town to a big city


I knew it was coming towards the end of my senior year in high school. But the fact that there was no way around leaving McAllen, Texas, which seemed to be heaven on earth to me and my friends, and going on to perusing our life dreams which involved gaining a high level education from a university. McAllen doesn't have the cream of the crop when i comes to universities, so we had this idea that we all needed to move out, preferably "up state" where the good schools are. So we used our grades and football to get our scholarships to high ranked Check Spellinguniversities all over the state.
Most of us are happy with our choices for the most part. There always seems to be at least one flaw where ever you go. Mcallen's immediate flaw was the lack of good university's, so i came here to San Antonio, one of the biggest cities in the U.S. to most people that's a good thing, but to me that is this university's one and only flaw.
The first difference i noticed upon my arrival was the huge buildings and complicated freeways. it will be tough to adjust to this new "city" environment coming from a somewhat rural place like the valley. Just as i started to feel out of place and started to question my judgment on this decision to come to Trinity, I started to become close with the football team, classmates, and people in my hall and realized I'm not the only one experiencing drastic changes. Meeting people from out of state and even international students, i accepted the fact that they were feeling the same uncertainty as i was and even though i couldn't get up and go hunting or fishing whenever I wanted to, i could make new friends and learn to enjoy this different life style. At least for the time being here at trinity.
The conclusion that i have made in order to succeed is, "when in Rome" is to never change whop you are, but simply adapt to your environment.

2 comments: